With Covid-19 cases rising in NJ, Gov. Murphy has signed Executive Order No. 192 to protect New Jersey's workforce during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Beginning November 5, 2020 employers that require or permit their workforce to be physically present at a worksite must abide by the following requirements, at a minimum, to protect employees, customers, and others who come into contact with its operations:
- Require workers and customers to maintain at least six feet of distance from one another, to the maximum extent possible;
- Require everyone to wear face masks, except when an employee is at their workstation at least six feet from others, or is alone in a walled space such as an office - Note: employers may be authorized to prevent individuals who refuse to wear a mask from entering the worksite, where such actions are consistent with state and federal law;
- Provide face masks for their employees;
- Provide approved sanitization materials for employees and visitors at no cost to those individuals;
- Ensure that employees practice hand hygiene and provide employees with sufficient break time for that purpose;
- Routinely clean and disinfect all high-touch areas in accordance with DOH and CDC guidelines;
- Prior to each shift, conduct daily health checks, such as temperature screenings, visual symptom checking, self-assessment checklists, and/or health questionnaires, consistent with CDC guidance;
- Do not allow sick employees to enter workplace and follow requirements of applicable leave laws; and
- Promptly notify employees of any known exposure to COVID-19 at the worksite.
As part of the Executive Order, the Department of Labor (DOL) and Department of Health (DOH) are establishing an intake mechanism to receive complaints. They will respond and investigate the nature of the complaints. The employer will be given an opportunity to correct the alleged or confirmed deficiency. You can read more about this on page 10 of the Executive Order.
Detailed requirements and exemptions for certain employers can be found in the full text of Executive Order No. 192.
Thanks to the Greater Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce for providing this information.